[Idea] A wiki for beginners

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-1-5 06:09:21 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by shahe_ansar at 2016-1-26 19:05

I'm pretty sure that I've made my point with thw title, but I'll state it here again. I'm pretty sure we've seen quite a few noobs on this forum tumble their way around getting their boards working, and that also degrades the community's name, which IMHO is really great, especially for one that's gathered around a board with pretty much no support from the manufacturer; Also, I believe that by making the various really great tutorials and guides on this forum more accessible, we can reach out further to noobs and advanced users alike who'd like to experiment around with th Orange Pi boards.

That's why I've made this short 5 day poll (forgive me, I'm an impatient guy....) to decide if I should do it or not. Obviously this wiki will be editable by the public, so, what I'm hoping for here is that all of you guys on this forum (including me of course) will "port", for lack of a better word, all the said guides and tutorials to the wiki. Also, if this wiki does see the light of day, I'd also like everyone here who wants to make a tutorial or something related to post it on the wiki. Hope I've made my point clear.

UPDATE:I've started making the wiki. It's taking longer than expected though....
I want a few months (I know that's a lot, but I'm currently preparing for my exams so cut me some slack people) to make it. Once it nears completion, I'll post screenshots of the wiki
Single choicepoll, A total of people voted
Your usergroup does not have voting rights

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-5 09:13:09 | Show all floors
Woild be great to see someone get the Raspberry Pi  gpio examples to work. We do not have have wiringpi for the Orange PI yet.

Use magic report

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-1-5 17:42:19 | Show all floors
I like simple tutorial.

Use magic report

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-5 19:00:52 | Show all floors
@phreon
Porting wiring pi to the original Orange Pi boards is gonna be easy, but the H3 boards will be difficult, since there doesn't seem to be enough documentation....

Use magic report

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-5 19:34:47 | Show all floors
Yea, I get that. The issue then becomes that the  current  OPI is not very useful to the mjority of its intendedd market. The IO has to be usable.

Use magic report

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-5 20:19:58 | Show all floors
@phreon
Not necessarily. It'll become usable once the documentation becomes available. Also, since I haven't recieved my board yet, I don't know if using the shell works, if it does, then we could use it easily. My recommendation at this stage would be to use an external MCU like an arduino nano, since it has better IO capability anyway

Use magic report

Published in 2016-1-5 23:50:04 | Show all floors
Edited by bronco at 2016-1-6 00:16
shahe_ansar replied at 2016-1-5 20:19
Also, since I haven't recieved my board yet, I don't know if using the shell works, if it does, then we could use it easily

Use loboris' 15.04 Ubuntu Mate image for Orange Pi PC (and think about applying the 'thermal fix' since otherwise you fry your H3 unnecessarily). Then you can access the GPIO stuff through /sys/class/gpio/ the usual way.
Then have a look at https://github.com/loboris/Orang ... orange/OPI_GPIO.txt and then think about porting WiringX or WiringPi. For the former maybe loboris already started: https://github.com/loboris/wiringX

For the latter simply fetch the WiringPi port from Banana Pi M3. Its A83T comes with nearly the same crappy Allwinner 3.4.39 kernel we currently have to use with the H3 based Orange Pis: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-WiringPi/tree/BPI_M3

BTW: Loboris already activated 1-Wire in the kernel his images use (the Banana Pi guys aren't that smart and still 'forgot' that).

Use magic report

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-7 04:41:54 | Show all floors
@bronco
-_- Thought I'd be able to use newer kernels (I know, mainline support for it still isn't there yet...).
Also, from the README file in the repo seems to not mention OPi as one of the devices it supports... As for wiringPi, I'm sorry to inform you this, but I've never had a liking for wiring-like interfaces, especially since I'm more of a low level guy (stopped using arduino in 2012, and have conquered Cortex M3s, PICs, AVRs so far)

Use magic report

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-1-11 00:10:12 | Show all floors
I've given up on this board.  Community support is nice and all but it's never going to be enough.  The lower price of this board compared to the odroid-c1 and rpi just isn't worth the headache.

Use magic report

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-11 04:50:52 | Show all floors
@larson9999 Oh we'll see

Use magic report

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list