please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
View: 11676|Reply: 22

Fix the Orange Pi Forum Server, Verification mails also getting delayed/lost.

[Copy link]

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-1-19 08:46:41 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by jeevasv at 2016-1-19 14:07

Can someone be tasked with checking the Discuz server and see why it is dragging like this?

Is it running out of RAM and thrashing? Please upgrade the RAM and then implement PHP-APC, Redis and MemCache

Where is it running? In house server or Some Cloud like AWS?

If any help or advice or hands-on required please let me know.
Note:  Another used PM'd me to note that verification mail confirmation is also not working for many.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-1-19 15:47:39 | Show all floors
yup verification email are not being received. just need to login for straight 3 days to have enough permissions to view and post on forum.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-20 08:18:30 | Show all floors
Edited by jeevasv at 2016-1-20 08:28

What about moving the most essential content to xda forum cleaning up the noise in a most organized fashion. This will reduce the load on this server and slowly if needed we can move the development discussions also to xda.

Planning and migrating the content will be a volunteering experience for the Newbies who already got their boards up and running and a good mental exercise overall.

Post your opinions and let's work towards it asap

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-20 08:47:22 | Show all floors
Allwinner: One of the small Chinese fab-less semiconductor company capable of designing and producing some stellar SoC'c at rock bottom prices.

Xunlong: One of the small Chinese ODM's capable of designing and producing some rock solid SBC's at rock bottom prices.

They are doing whatever they can with their available resources to help in the Software and Community support side also. Remember maintaining a high traffic website, forum etc is no easy task and won't come free of cost and won't come under Allwinner or Xunlong's main expertise.

So Let's work on taking the unnecessary pressure off their shoulders so that they are empowered to produce something substantial like mainline support or upgraded graphic drivers at a later time.

For those who are frustrated and comparing about the Raspberry PI here are few reminders:

I still have few dead Raspberry pi's which died soon after I received them.

Raspberry Pi mainlining work is still going on.

Raspberry pi uses graphics blob for videocore

Raspberry pi got a big community and broadcom backing and still it is not the stellar opensource platform.

OPIPC easily beats RPI2 in the usb throughput as both RPI and RPI2 SoC's got only one usb bus which is further split using substandard smsc hub.

Remember these before bragging and start working towards solving the issues.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-21 11:04:19 | Show all floors
I finally can read, search and post on these forums, but only because I logged in every day for 3 days. I still haven't gotten a single verification-email on any of the e-mail addresses I tried nor is Steven responding private messages or e-mails. These forums are in a very bad shape and need either fixing or replacement, but to do either of those we'd still need to be able to contact Steven.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-21 11:22:18 | Show all floors
Some more things I've noticed: you can't read forum - posts or threads while waiting for verification (which never arrives) or use search. The messed-up thing is, you can log out and you can read posts and use search then! Also, I can't upload an avatar, there's just some Chinese error-message every time I try to do it.

threads

credits

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-1-21 17:25:22 | Show all floors
For creating a parallel lifeline forumn in xda doesnt need  any external support.

Any one can do it starting now itself. Just create couple of subforumns in xda and copy the most relevant content including links and instructions from here after proof reading and cleaning up.

I expect that initiative to be take up by someone as a good learning exercise.

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-21 17:51:02 | Show all floors
Edited by WereCatf at 2016-1-21 17:52

I can't find a way of adding a custom forum there, as far as I can see you have to apply for it and hope they accept it, but then again I'm not that terribly familiar with XDA. Alas, for such an effort to be effective Steven would still have to either change the link on the Orange Pi - website to point to the XDA-forum or add another entry for it -- at the moment the link points here and it'd be way too easy for newcomers to get frustrated with these forums and just never be back again and thus also never learn about the XDA-forum.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that no one else seems to care.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2016-1-21 19:42:49 | Show all floors
Edited by igorpec at 2016-1-21 12:44

forum.armbian.com

Content: A10/A20 based boards, for H3 little less than here but with way less spam content. Official support comes with mainline kernel - currently testing.
Hardware: Allwinner A20 board with all possible caching optimisation seems to be an overkill ;) Performing good even with more bloated forum SW and with many other services. I guess here they use some kind of low cost/free hosted solution?

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-1-21 22:02:54 | Show all floors
I don't think trying to highjack a specific distro's forums would be the right approach, the Orange Pis run a wide range of distros and restricting discussion under only one wouldn't serve the wider userbase.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list