View: 13928|Reply: 21

OPI ONE Support Alert

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-2-16 15:21:32 | Show all floors |Read mode
OPI ONE is being sold and there is absolutely NOTHING in the downloads/ressources section, schematics are not released and noby cares about the state
of the forum ( view previous posts on fake users ).. The cheap price of 10$ is still a rip-off if the seller just takes the money and runs.

Success starts wirh RESPECT for your customers.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-2-21 08:02:51 | Show all floors

OPI-ONE schematic

threads

credits

Gold member

credits
Published in 2016-2-16 16:50:59 | Show all floors
You aren't the only one who doesn't like the situation, but I don't think constantly writing about it on the forums helps, either -- Steven and whoever others are running the things don't really seem to read these forums, and it's not like we, the users, can do anything about the fake users or provide you with schematics. I have already ordered an RPi2 and I'll probably be using that instead and only check in on the OPi every once in a while to see if things are improving. I don't have the skills to do any actual kernel-hacking nor do I have access to any in-depth resources, so there's not much I can do about any of this personally, either.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-2-16 17:45:13 | Show all floors
Hi,

I am agree with rodolfo...

Without producer support this really good product will not achieve success - I have mentioned this early, but nobody care...

Personally, I would pay a couple $$$ extra for more supported platform... if I will consider another 'pi' in my home...

dr_hans

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-16 20:21:24 | Show all floors
@WereCatf

Steven (?) or whoever advertises and sells the boards may not care about the users once they sold the boards with empty promises, but it
is extremely unfair to exploit the work of so many willing and caring forum members. To them it may actually matter how they are treated.
Users and potential customers DO read these forums and they have a right to know how they are treated after spending their money and
time.

@dr_hans

As an early RasPi user, I have tried out several alternatives, Rockchip and Odroid boards, mainly for their connectivity options and
the advertised higher performance (CPU and graphics) They all landed in the trash can, as all these "Open Source" boards had to
offer was TV-stick functionality with Android mutimedia or Ubuntu "desktops". Not one of the boards allowed you to download a
clean basic Debian image with boot/ kernel adapted to their hardware and ready to be used. The power consumption of these clones
is usually plain silly at 2W and more, which is a no go in battery-operated scenarios..

@potential customers

The forum is your only hope. Do not believe the specs, you just get "something that looks like a RasPi" , is factory overclocked and has generally no
software support for the hardware thrown together. Instead of spending time on your project you will be desperately patching some "software" in order
to finally run some "blinking LED" adventures on the board..  

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-2-17 01:49:57 | Show all floors
@rodolfo
If you care that much about support, power consumption, debian availability etc.. check these things _before_ you order. For some stuff I do I have very high demands when it comes to having stuff working headache free and out of the box and I fork off 200ish euro each for asus eeepc's. I'm also in need of lots of mini machines that can power cycle independently, run any crap linux kernel that can manage to do serial and I end up with an assortment of 20 Orange Pi PCs and ONEs. I would have loved them to be orange, but they are blue instead, but I did check if I could live with that _before_ I bought them.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-17 02:21:21 | Show all floors
@dugo
Good for you. Enjoy your headaches. And in case you just need serial - save the "any crap linux kernel" and do some bit-banging on the ATTINYs.
You'll get 20 for the price of one OPI PC.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-2-17 03:30:53 | Show all floors
rodolfo replied at 2016-2-17 02:21
@dugo
Good for you. Enjoy your headaches. And in case you just need serial - save the "any crap linu ...

Some people enjoy tinkering and learning as they go, sharing what they learned, and learning from others. If that's not what you're interested in then maybe you shouldn't buy ANY make of SBC.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2016-2-17 03:43:56 | Show all floors
I have bought my Pi PLUS for android media center purpose (KODI).

My Pi PLUS with stock android was not perfect to do this job, but fortunately for us, I have found, that TRONFY X2 media box is using 99% similar hardware and my Pi PLUS is working excellent with this image.

To summarize - is really good hardware - but needs more support from producer...

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
 Author| Published in 2016-2-17 04:20:22 | Show all floors
Easy ... we all love tinkering and blowing up stuff. All I'm asking for is some very basic documentation ( like any ...) on the OPI ONE from
the guys making money selling them and counting on us to put some tyres on the car.

To summarize ( and plagiarize dr_hans ) : probably good hardware - but needs more support from producer...

@dr_hans
Thanks for the link to TRONFY X2. The snappy performance is quite promising.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-2-19 18:19:10 | Show all floors
Hi folks, I am new in the group, just got my OPI-one and loioking for a way to lboot it with any operating syste and found it really hard to get any information about it on this site or anywhere else.

I want to use it as a media server for my kids, to be able to play video (youtube) and music (streaming or from a local USB key).

I made a mistake ordering the unit, I thought it already has a Infrared on it, but I can live wihtout it, but having a hard time using the unit when there are no documentation avilable.

I will share whatever I manage to get together with the others when I get it working.

Cheers,
Farhad
Paris, France

I would really like to have Andoid on it, but I am afraid getting it to work is beyond my knowledge of UNIX so, I would rather go for something lighter like Lubuntu or Rasbian instead.
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list