View: 42057|Reply: 10

orange pi and arduino

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-3-13 22:05:54 | Show all floors |Read mode
Hi has anyone managed to use one of the orange pi boards for running a arduino sketch?
I want to try and use it for running a cnc machine/3d printer but have no idea where to start, has anyone had any experiance with orange pi, raspberry pi and arduino?

Regards Poppy Ann.
If a cluttered work bench indicates a cluttered mind what does a empty work benc

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-10-29 08:26:50 | Show all floors

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-8-20 08:00:02 | Show all floors
alexparadise replied at 2015-8-19 20:06
Does anyone manage to use Arduino with OPI? When I plug Arduino with the USB cable, the Arduino IDE  ...

The kernel must have USBtoSerial modules built. You can try one of my images, I think it should work.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-3-15 00:56:42 | Show all floors
Well first, design what you want. Then get a board for it.

For instance a 3D printer needs 4-5 stepper motors. The prusa utilizes 5 but only needs 4 motor drivers.

http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS

Take a look at that.
Published in 2015-3-18 07:06:05 | Show all floors
We are testing arduino Expansion board. Thank you.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
 Author| Published in 2015-3-21 16:09:01 | Show all floors
zhao_steven replied at 2015-3-18 07:06
We are testing arduino Expansion board. Thank you.

Hi Steven,

at the moment i have not used my Orange Pi but i was thinking of trying to tie it into my 3d printer project which i have almost finished, the main hardware and most of the wiring is finished but i was thinking of moving the 3D part of my project to a separate machine as i was going to make one machine that does 3D printing,laser etching /cutting and a small item router/engraver i have a 300W spindle so i know i cannot use it for anything heavy but i have been thinking that i may be better building a separate 3D printer as just about all of the 3D printers run under arduino and my cnc driver board is a usb board and i can only find windows drivers for it, i am useless at programing now as i have not done any for many years (since early 80's) and my old brain does not learn new things that easy i was hoping that i could copy someone elses program and leave myself just the building and wiring which i can say i am quite good at (at least other people tell me i am)

What arduino expansion board are you testing at the moment?
Would it be possible to make one that just plugs direct into the Orange Pi and has the same headers on the top that a arduino has so it would be possible to plug arduino compatible boards into like the reprap board?

Regards Poppy Ann.
If a cluttered work bench indicates a cluttered mind what does a empty work benc

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-8-20 03:06:51 | Show all floors
Does anyone manage to use Arduino with OPI? When I plug Arduino with the USB cable, the Arduino IDE cannot detect it. Also you cannot see anything in /dev/tty*

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-9-28 09:43:37 | Show all floors
Try using ISP instead of serial, that should hopefully work (a usbTinyISP costs like 3 bucks). As for using Arduino on the OPI, not a great decision especially because the SBC is designed to do stuff not involving complex software based pin manipulation, best done by MCUs. If you do want to use the OPI gpio, you can use sysfs (sunxi-gpio, shell commands). You could also integrate that into a C program and create your own library, but remember, it'll never be as good as a MCU.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2015-10-26 13:59:06 | Show all floors
alexparadise replied at 2015-8-19 12:06
Does anyone manage to use Arduino with OPI? When I plug Arduino with the USB cable, the Arduino IDE  ...

I had it connected to my arduino mega clone yesterday. Had to play with the ch341 drivers. They are partialy there...not sure exactly what I did to get it working...wasn't too hard. Can't go back and look right now because I have changed images 4 times today. Have finally settled on Kali as most complete, functioning, resources easy (idles at bottom of cpu graphs). OPi Plus.
Orange Pi Plus

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-10-29 09:29:10 | Show all floors
Survive-Pi replied at 2015-10-26 13:59
I had it connected to my arduino mega clone yesterday. Had to play with the ch341 drivers. They ar ...

So you found Kali more complete than Lubuntu? Can you elaborate on what you found? Maybe start a new thread...
Do you happen to know if you can configure an interface for usb0 in /etc/network/interfaces and have it show up in ifconfig? That's all that I know that I'm missing in Lubuntu, but you know more since you've installed various images. Thanks in advance.

You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list