View: 10957|Reply: 5

Install Lubuntu to Plus 2E eMMC and pre-set resolution?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2016-12-7 10:59:49 | Show all floors |Read mode
I want to try Lubuntu on the eMMC of my Orange Pi Plus 2E, and pre-set the HDMI output to 1280x1024 to match a Dell DVI monitor. I have the Lubuntu_1404_For_OrangePi_Plus2E_v0_8_0.img a 16 gig class 10 micro SD and various PCs running Windows 10.

I have a HDMI to DVI/audio splitter box, but either it's not working with the video output the stock Android install is doing or the monitors I've tried don't support the 720p default from the O-Pi. I know that's the default from hooking it up to my big TV, but I don't want to use this in my living room.

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2016-12-7 16:14:19 | Show all floors
I am still waiting on my Plus2Es on the mail, but I am also interested in your exact setup. I would like to run Lubuntu on them, connected to 1280x1024 (HP) DVI monitors. Having a look at /media/boot on one of my OPi-PCs running the Jacer image, I wander if it would be just a matter of editing script.bin say for the OPi-Plus, for example, as a starting point. Please share your findings on this.

OPi 2. OPi-PC, OPi+2E, OPi-PC2

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2016-12-10 21:28:10 | Show all floors
Hi

I've got Orange Pi PC Plus. Successfully installed Lubuntu on the SD card. I tried to install Lubunto on eMMC. There are some instructions in the folder /home/orangepi/burn_to_emmc/readme.txt I followed instruction but the system not work. I can read some log via UART port. There are messages about a problem with image reading.

Have You got some good bootloader or some image of lubuntu to instali it on eMMC ?

Best
WM

threads

credits

Forum patriarch

credits
Published in 2016-12-16 22:22:41 | Show all floors
Edited by KY69 at 2016-12-16 11:25

Note added after writing: all the information contained here is either in the forum or in links pointed from it, but it is scattered and somewhat difficult to put together. I hope this helps people save precious time. All credit goes to the many people who posted the original information in the first place.

Still waiting for the +2Es on the mail, but I finally got to do some tests with my OPi-PCs regarding the video resolution, and after some sweat I got them working with some of my (DVI) HP monitors. My test setup is:

OPi-PCs running Jacer Lubuntu (15.04), connected to HP monitors via DVI, with HDMI cables from the OPis hooked to cheap HDMI->DVI adapters from eBay or Aliexpress. The monitors I tested so far were 1280x1024 native resolution (60Hz). I will try another HP with 1440x900 as soon as I have a chance.

I first messed around with script.fex, but that was not enough. The kernel was not aware of other resolutions (via HDMI) besides the few 16:9 default ones and a couple others, so in as few words as possible this is what you need to get it working.

1) Edit script.fex as follows:
    - in [clock] section, change pll_video to 432 (which is a multiple of 108.00). It is probably set to 297 (multiple of 148.50); (*)
    - in [hdmi_para] section, add:
        - hdcp_enable = 0 (this is a potential point of trouble, better save yourself the trouble, disable HDCP);
        - hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1
    - in [disp_init] section I made a few modifications, they may not all be necessary, but I do not have the time to strip them out one by one now just to find out. It is working as follows:
        - screen0_output_type = 3 (this is probably how it is at the moment, i.e., use HDMI)
        - screen0_output_mode = 5 (for 1280x1024. Use mode 4 for 1024x768, but I have not tested that) (*)
        - fb0_scaler_mode_enable = 1 (including this line and editing the next two may not be necessary)
        - fb0_width = 1280
        - fb0_height = 1024
2) Replace the default /media/boot/uImage with the one provided by dni here. Basically this image has modes 4 and 5 (720p50 and 720p60) replaced by the new ones (4:3 1024x768 and 5:4 1280x1024, respectively), or at least that's what I made from it. dni probably edited the timings in hdmi_core.c and perhaps modified some other files and recompiled the kernel. Any questions contact dni directly

And that's it! You should have Lubuntu 15.04 running in your 1280x1024 ( | 1024x768) monitor via DVI. Easy and painless.

(*) 1024x768 required pll_video = 260, if I am not mistakened.

Note: Armbian seems to have a whole bunch of video modes already setup, so if it's all the same to you, it could be interesting for a new install. If you have systems already set up and/or need Ubuntu for whatever reason you may have, the procedure described here should not take more than a few minutes.

OPi 2. OPi-PC, OPi+2E, OPi-PC2

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2017-9-16 07:26:23 | Show all floors
Edited by branilson at 2017-9-16 07:28

Hello Everyone!

I did the same as wmisio, but it didn't work as well. The Lubuntu image for Opi+ 2E work perfectly on the SD card, but when I try to transfer to the EMMC nothing happens. The board appears don't turn on without the SD card.  I also tried other Ubuntu images for ARMhf unsuccessfully, allways the network drivers don't work.

Does someone knows how to install a Ubuntu/Lubuntu image on Opi+ 2E's EMMC?

Thank you very much.

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2017-9-18 12:45:51 | Show all floors
I also tried other Ubuntu images for ARMhf unsuccessfully, allways the network drivers don't work.

With Armbian everything works. Network, eMMC install, video decoding, ...
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list