please choosego to mobile | Continue to access the PC version
View: 26677|Reply: 17

Good news, no need for a fan (maybe even heatsink) any more

[Copy link]
Published in 2015-12-22 06:04:39 | Show all floors |Read mode
Edited by bronco at 2015-12-22 06:09

Hello,

in the meantime the linux-sunxi devs provide an official fex file for the Orange Pi PC -- the thermal/dvfs settings therein can also be applied to the other H3 based Orange Pis that are blamed for overheating:

https://github.com/linux-sunxi/s ... aster/sys_config/h3

In the past I always blamed Xunlong for the heat problems but I had to learn that this was not entirely true. Apologies for that.

Xunlong increased the voltage settings for the H3 SoC but also prevented the insane overclocking up to 1.53 GHz through the contents of the cooling states table in Xunlong's fex file (also instructing the kernel to disable CPU cores while maintaining a high clockspeed). It seems that further 'tuning' in community based OS images led than to overclocking up to 1.53 GHz. Anyway: by using the linux-sunxi settings the need for a fan is gone and in my experiments not even a heatsink is necessary unless one uses a small enclosure where no airflow is possible (but even then a heatsink might not be that efficient -- no airflow remains no airflow).

For the technical details please have a look at the commit comments or better the whole thread on the linux-sunxi mailinglist: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux-sunxi/20Ir4It3GsA

BTW: In the last days I let my Orange Pi PC run with mainline kernel (4.4.0-rc4). Not that much is currently working (just a single CPU core activated and only UART and USB) but that was already enough to benefit from the way superiour USB performance with mainline kernel when USB Attached SCSI can be used instead of the old and inefficient BOT protocol we've to use now: http://forum.armbian.com/index.p ... pc/page-2#entry3426

Regarding USB performance the cheap Orange Pi PC is the board of choice since here no internal USB hub leads to shared bandwidth but all 4 USB host ports the H3 provides are directly available.

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-12-22 22:10:59 | Show all floors
Attached script.bin made with sunxi fex.

Temps are now VERY ok..

Test and let me know!

This thread contains more resources

You need to Log in to download or view,No account?    Register

x

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-22 09:02:08 | Show all floors
good news everyone

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-22 19:40:06 | Show all floors
reading the script, this is to OP1 Plus. Is just convert to script.bin with fextobin and replace? someone has tested ???

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-22 20:22:10 | Show all floors
On orangepi pc about 50 degrees, with ceramic heat sink

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-22 22:38:52 | Show all floors
Can this script.bin be used for an Android ROM?  Not very experienced with such things - if this is possible can you please let me know how to do this?
 Author| Published in 2015-12-22 22:51:12 | Show all floors
ralves84 replied at 2015-12-22 19:40
reading the script, this is to OP1 Plus. Is just convert to script.bin with fextobin and replace? so ...

Nope, this is unfortunately a wrong comment (obviously overlooked while taking Xunlong's fex file for Orange Pi PC from the 'official' Lubuntu OS image). This specific fex file only works with the Orange Pi PC. If you use it with other H3 based Orange Pis parts of the hardware are wrong initialised and therefore might not be useable (GBit Ethernet for example).
You're always able to convert the script.bin used to a fex file, adjust the values and convert then back. For Debian based OS images I created a small script that does exactly this adopting the thermal/dvfs settings from linux-sunxi: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepi ... 5&fromuid=29411

But if you're not familiar with this stuff then please refrain from playing around with this since a corrupted script.bin might lead to all sorts of trouble (or even not being able to boot any more). Ask the people responsible for providing OS images whether they're willing to adopt the linux-sunxi settings and provide upgrade mechanisms.

Regarding Android: I've no idea. But since the H3 SDK seems to be nearly identical to the A83T's (Banana Pi M3) it might be necessary to recompile the whole BSP to be able to adjust these settings there. Don't know, never used Android so far.

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-24 04:08:24 | Show all floors
Edited by joecz at 2015-12-24 04:21

Finaly it looks like we have got what we are waited for.

Testig xunlong_orange_pi_pc.fex settings with cpuburn-a7. Much better. OPi PC still wo heatsink and headless. One half hour stressing CPU and no core has been lost :-)

Ambient temp was 18°C. At middle of stress test this look like this:

x

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2015-12-24 06:35:29 | Show all floors
Edited by joecz at 2015-12-24 17:38

And same xunlong_orange_pi_pc.fex setting now with cheap heatsink mounted to CPU and memmory. Some improvement, but keep in mind it's headless config and ambient temp is still 18°C

without heatsink left, with cheap one on the right side. I'm watching farirytale on TV in the middle :-)

As you can see in graph you can survive even with cheap hetsink much much longer before you reach next cooling state level.
But is this safe? I have OPi PC unboxed and placed into room with 18°C ambient temp. So if you are using HDMI and some box case add next +4 - ? °C and in summer time maybe next 8 - 10°C ?

x

threads

credits

Registered member

credits
Published in 2015-12-26 02:18:25 | Show all floors
Does anyone mind explaining the exact process for applying this to an existing ROM?  (it's a u-boot thing, correct?)

Thanks!
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list