View: 7676|Reply: 3

How to safely turn off a headless Linux based mini computer?

[Copy link]

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2019-4-26 17:13:32 | Show all floors |Read mode
[color=rgb(187, 192, 196) !important][color=rgb(106, 115, 124) !important][size=1.61538]0

I am using orange pi zero and using Linux operating system(armbian) where am launching my firmware in the Start up. Hence there is no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the computer. My application will gets started upon startup.
Now I have an issue upon power failure or during forcefully cutting the power, the file system may tend to damage if it repeatedly happens and since PI is not connected to any monitor I can't turn off the OS Safely using the Shutdown button nor using the cmd terminal.
Now question is how to safely Shutdown the OS? This could be a common problem where headless computer used in any products, now how do people in industry handle this problem?

threads

credits

credits
Published in 2019-4-27 02:26:23 | Show all floors
With turning/tunning up file system toward read-only. I/O performances are degraded, but something you need to sacrifice.

threads

credits

Novice

credits
Published in 2020-12-7 15:42:44 | Show all floors
Good, Thank for share
I am using orange pi zero and using Linux operating system(armbian) where am launching my firmware in the Start up. Hence there is no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the computer. My application will gets started upon startup.
Now I have an issue upon power failure or during forcefully cutting the power, the file system may tend to damage if it repeatedly happens and since PI is not connected to any monitor I can't turn off the OS Safely using the Shutdown button nor using the cmd terminal.
Now question is how to safely Shutdown the OS? This could be a common problem where headless computer used in any products, now how do people in industry handle this problem? See more: Best buy

threads

credits

Intermediate member

credits
Published in 2021-7-16 18:05:35 | Show all floors
You would need to have something supplying backup power when your external power supply fails, and a means to monitor the status of the external power in a script that you run either continuously or invoked regularly. This can then execute a shutdown command whilst running off your back-up supply. You will therefore need a backup supply which gives you access to the battery voltage and current (one that doesn't put the load on the battery whilst external power is available, so you can tell by the current draw if external power is off). You can see an example at https://www.theredreactor.com
You need to log in before you can reply login | Register

Points Rule

Quick reply Top Return list